The wedding invitation business is huge. But how do you start a wedding invitation business?
Here are some steps to take:
- If you don’t know about wedding invitations it is a good time to learn as much as you can before you decide if this is the home business that you want to start. There are a lot of invitation sites. Check them out. Look at wedding sites.
- Learn the wedding invitation etiquette. Most brides will ask how to word their invitation. You need to become familiar with this. There are guidelines to follow if the parents are divorces and other situations, knowing the proper wording for wedding invitations can make your future bride more comfortable in using your services.
- Decide what type of invites you will provide. Chances are you can not be all things to everyone. Will you make computer generated invites and do layered invites. How many types will you offer. Get your supplies to start. You can add later but have some to practice with. Get a good relationship started with your local print shop. They may save scrap for you that will save a lot of money. See if they have odd envelopes they will sell you. They don’t do much with 75 envelopes in pink but you may have a bride that would love that. You never know.
- Check to see what type of business license you need. You won’t be taken serious if you don’t have a license. If you call your Chamber of Commerce they can tell you where to get this. The Chamber will be a good contact also. If the fee to join is in your budget it may be a good idea. You can usually get some advertising from them in the process.
- Once you have a business license you will want to get established. Make some nice business cards and start distributing them. If your town has a wedding fair or expo try to get involved in that. A good place to promote might be the local florist. If they will allow put your cards in their shop. Maybe you can offer a commission if they send an order your way. If a restaurant has a place to put cards by all means this is a good place too.
- Determine what your costs are for so many invitations and set your prices so that you will make a good profit. You don’t want to sell yourself short here. Setting your prices can be difficult. You should have a good idea what your area can bare. If you have a card shop or something that offers invitations see what the cost is there. You must know what your costs are before knowing what you will charge. Dont forget to add your time to calculate the cost.
- Set up or get someone to set up a website. Make it SEO or search engine friendly. This will increase the traffic to your site. Make sure if you have someone set it up they are familiar with this. If you just want local traffic this might be easier to target for.
- Put together a nice portfolio. If you have samples to look at future brides can determine what they want. Make sure these look good. You should have at least 5 samples. With each invitation include an RSVP the envelope and the reception card. Decide if you will include a map card. With so many GPS’s the need for these has decreased but some may want them. Put them all together so each set is a matching page of invitations.
- If you can offer envelope addressing. This is something that brides will love. I make my envelope addressing match the invitation itself. Placing a piece of wedding clip art on the envelope will dress it up. Put these sample in your portfolio also.
I hope this gives you some idea of starting a wedding invitation business at home. It can be fun and profitable.
Rating: 5 out of 5