If you want to have a truly unplugged Internet browsing experience at home, switch to wireless routers. Wireless routers release you from ‘wired’ bonds and give you the freedom to access the net from anywhere in your house. With wireless networking enabled by the router, you can have freedom from wires. To have secure and high speed wireless Internet access, it is essential that you opt for the best router for home use.
Choosing the Best Router
Here are the things to look out for when buying a router:
- Speed: Speed of data transmission, measured in MB/sec is the most important factor to be taken into consideration. Go for a high speed router with a high data transfer speed.
- Number of Antennas: More the number of internal antennas, better is the coverage range and connectivity of the router.
- Dual Band/Single Band: A dual band wireless router offers data transmission at two radio frequencies which makes them faster than single band wireless routers.
- Firewall & Network Security: See to it that the wireless router has state-of-the-art security, including a firewall and WPA2 encryption standard is enabled. This protects your network from getting hacked by eavesdroppers.
- Network Standard: Opt for any one of the following; 802.11 g/n/a/b/c, out of which 802.11 n and 802.11 g are the faster.
- Range: See to it that the router has a high range of coverage and covers your home area adequately.
Best Wireless Router
After that brief overview of the features that would make the best router, let us review some of the best products available in the market.
Apple AirPort Extreme
The Apple AirPort Extreme is voted to be one of the best wireless routers for home use. It is a dual band wireless router with advanced security features. It comes with 802.11 a/b/g/n compatibility with a facility for external hard drive and printer sharing capability. What makes it the best router is the high speed Internet access it offers, along with excellent coverage range. This is also the best router for gaming. With a one year warranty, this best home wireless router is priced at $175.
With simultaneous dual band connectivity, WPA2 encryption, SPI firewall, six internal antennas and high speed data transfer, Linksys WRT 610N is a great choice for the home user. It is compatible with all of 802.11a/b/g/n network standards. Home users can benefit from two added feature of Linksys WRT610N, which are external hard drive sharing and four ethernet ports. With all these great features, this is among the best home wireless router which will cost you only $165.
With a price of only $115, Linksys WRT400N offers dual band connectivity and excellent coverage range. Though not as fast as the higher line Linksys products, its features make it a good choice for the home user with no high bandwidth needs. This may not be the fastest wireless router for your home, but what sets it apart of course, is the low price.
If all of you are bound by budget constraints and need to opt for a wireless router that offers all the bare essentials at a reasonable price, Linksys WRT54GL is the best choice for you. It has WPA2 security, single band connectivity and SPI firewall with decent data transfer speeds. Its two antennas ensure adequate coverage for small homes and it will cost you only $55.
The best router is the one which provides secure Internet access, high data transfer speeds and excellent coverage range. Every one of the above mentioned products qualifies for possessing these requisites. Choose any one that matches your requirement and suits your budget.
Rating: 4 out of 5