The further west one travels from Malaga, southern Spain, the more pleasant the area becomes. The land surrounding Malaga, and in some circumstances Marbella has been utilised to it’s maximum, Marbella alone boasting forty-three golf courses. Some consider the area to have become claustrophobic, others a great place to play golf. However, an hours drive west from Malaga is the best of both worlds. The Andalucian Spanish town Estepona has not become overdeveloped and offers great golf, holiday apartments and villas for sale.
The Town of Estepona Near Marbella
Estepona is an upmarket town and is about as Spanish as the resorts get on the Costa del Sol. The fine sandy beach that holiday makers and residents enjoy has been brought to life with a promenade full of flowers and palm trees which give it that special characteristic Northern Europeans associate with warmth and holidays.
The town has many fine restaurants, not only along the main route to Estepona that allows easy access from Malaga airport, but also along the main street of the town where there are some excellent freiduras and marisquerias.
There are also delightful markets during the day where fresh food for picnics and healthy lunches give a real opportunity to eat a healthy Mediterranean diet while enjoying the sun. If you’ve had a bad day on the course however, you could always add a glass or two of Sangria
Must Play Estepona Golf at San Roque
- Although thirty-five miles further west of Estepona, the magnificent San Roque Golf Course, past home of the European Tour Card School is well worth a visit. Lying at the foothills of Sierra Bermeja, where the mountains meet the sea, San Roque is a truly world class resort.
- The Old course was designed by Dave Thomas in 1990, but redesign work and special features were tastefully added by Seve Ballesteros including alterations to the superb bunkers.
- The New Course was designed by the world famous Perry Dye and measures over 7200 yards in length and provides a tough test for all.
- Apart from the two world-class courses the practice ground and clubhouse facilities make this a truly magnificent venue.
- For the non-golfer the equestrian centre is a must see before enjoying a superb meal in the restaurant.
Buying Property Villas and Apartments in Estepona, Costa del Sol
Much of the northern hemisphere has suffered financial trouble due to the banking crisis, and it has left many opportunities for prospective buyers of property in Spain. In the Estepona area villas and apartments are being offered at knock down prices and unlike the Malaga area stringent building restrictions have been put in place to protect owners.
If someone wants to move from England, or other Northern countries that suffer the cold in winter, and are contemplating a move to Spain, Estepona should be on a short list of places to visit for a golfing break in order to investigate the area. Visit Estepona for great golf, good eating and a sunny climate near the sea.
See also: Luxury Golf Holidays in Mauritius at The Paradis
Rating: 5 out of 5