Mobile homes are a wonderful way of experiencing different places, as it involves a combination of living and traveling. It is also economical, as a mobile home doesn’t require much maintenance; however, the mobile home roof may need repairing from time to time. These repairs are expensive, if a professional is hired to do the repairing, but with proper instructions and tools, you can even do it yourself.
Repairing the Mobile Home Roof
Most mobile homes come with a metal roofing, but some also have a roofing shingles. Mobile homes are on the move most of the time, hence the moving and shifting results in openings at seams near fixtures. This leads to damages the roof, if it is not taken care of in time.
Signs that your roof needs repair, start appearing at most unexpected places and times. Water leaking around the pipes, ugly stains appearing on the ceilings due to leakage, thinning of the silver coating in the roof and holes in the vents. Well, when the water starts leaking through the cracks and openings, it’s a definite sign that your mobile home roof does need repairing. At the start, you should confirm the extent of repair work that needs to be done. Make an estimate of the cost of repairing the roof, by checking the roofing material, etc.
- Ladder for climbing up the roof
- Glass fiber or melted plastic to seal the leaks
- Broom to clean the surface of the roofs
- Patching cement for sealing the leaks
- Cement sealer for laying a base for the sealing material
- Paint brushes and rollers to apply the cement and the sealers
- Paint tray to keep the paintbrush
- Elastomeric roof coating for overall protection of the roof.
- Paint to repair the surface of the roof.
11 Steps to Fix a Mobile Home Roof
- Use a ladder to climb up the roof and make sure that the roof is strong enough to bear your weight, or else you may need to use wooden beams as an additional support.
- Use a broom to clean the surface for any dirt or old paintwork.
- Start of the coating, according to the type of the roof.
- Use the roof coating to fill up small leaks, which appear through the rust in the roof.
- Apply the patching cement on the surface to fill in the small leaks.
- Apply the cement sealer liberally; around two coats.
- Let the sealer dry for around12 hours, before applying the roof coating.
- Use a paintbrush or a paint roller to apply the roof coating.
- Coating the whole surface will make the roof last longer.
- For bigger leaks, use glass fiber or melted plastic to overlap the surface and apply silicone caulking over it.
- Finally, paint the whole roof to cover the patching.
Some Useful Tips
- Avoid working when the sunlight is strong, as you won’t be able to do much due to the strong heat.
- Take the help of another person, as it might not be possible to do everything alone.
- While using metal sheets, be careful while cutting the metal.
- Dispose of the leftover sealer in the way instructed or it may cause unwarranted harm.
Using all the help available, the job of amending the mobile home roof may not be as difficult as you imagine it to be. So now, you can enjoy the comforts of your mobile home, without having to worry about leakage during a storm or the sun’s heat seeping in.
Rating: 3 out of 5